Tuesday, June 2, 2009

MySpace Highlight

Before blogging here (or starting the Random Thoughts on Facebook), I was writing a blog using MySpace. It was pretty much the same stuff I've been writing here, but a lot less often, and usually more personal experience oriented.

So, in the first in a series of MySpace Highlights, we go back to March 26, 2008, for one I titled "HIPPA be damned":

Ever been a part of some one else’s conversation ... even when you really didn’t want to?

Obviously, in a world where just about everyone has a cell phone (Luc’s already been bugging us for one ... to chew on), it happens more and more often, and is often unavoidable. You just hope that you don’t have to hear what I did Wednesday.

I was sitting by the pharmacy at Rite Aid waiting for a prescription for the baby, when this woman walks up on the phone. She looks to be in hers mid-20s, early-30s, and she’s intently listening to the person on the other side of the call. The clerk acknowleges her, and in a voice you would use if you were at a loud house party, says "Pick Up." (Which was convenient, considering it was the pick-up counter.) The clerk asks her name. Continuing with the loud voice "AMBER."

"Your last name?"

"REDACTED." (to protect the not-so-innocent).

So the clerk goes on her way, looking for the prescriptions, when this comes out of the woman’s mouth, still at the same volume.

"That’s what happens in prison, mom."

My head snapped up pretty quick at that one. The clerk, who had her back to her, did a double take, and went into double time looking for her prescription.

Now, I was trying not to appear that I was listening, but she had my attention, that’s for sure. And I’m not sure of the accuracy of the order of the following conversation, but all was pretty much said in pretty much these words.

"Yes, mom. Things like that happen. There was a woman who was in there because she cut her baby’s weenie off."
"..." (other half of phone coversation)
"Because she wanted a girl mom. And this other woman, she put her baby in the oven and cooked it and served it to her husband."
"..."
"These things happen in there mom."
"..."
"When I was in prison, mom ..." (At this point, I think the pharmacy tech went into triple-time mode) "...there was a woman who had cut off her baby’s weenie because she wanted a girl."
"..."
"OK, well mom, I’ve got to go."

NOW? NOW she needed to go? After having half a conversation like that at a pharmacy? For everyone to hear? NOW YOU HAVE TO GO? You couldn’t have finished this before you walked in? HIPPA be damned if you want to talk on the cell phone at the pharmacy counter.

Of course, I wasn’t able to recount everything she said (because I don’t carry notebooks with me any more). But she did mention that someone (it may have been her, I don’t remember) was serving at Chowchilla prison. The volume in her voice decreased only slightly through the conversation. And there’s no telling what this woman had done to earn her stay in the big house. But I was watching her body language and she was shaking in a way that didn’t appear to be voluntary, and may have been related to some sort of drug use.

So, consider yourself warned. Nowadays, it seems, you can’t avoid outside incidents of TMI.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it clean and use your common sense when posting a comment on this blog. Thanks a bunch.