Monday, May 11, 2009

Monday's Random Thoughts

Hey! It's Monday. That means it's time for a few random thoughts. Probably have a lightning round of random thoughts (more, but shorter) later in the week.

LANGUAGE PLEASE: Our apartment complex has seen an influx of children in the past few months. And they like to play near our door.
Actually, they tend to set up shop on the staircase leading up to our door. And, for the most part, they're not too bad. They clear the way when we have to go up and down (mostly) and if I ask them to be quiet so the baby can sleep, they tend to do so.
Now that I'm home on weekdays, I get to see and hear them a little more often.
It's ear opening.
The language that some of them use is outright bothersome. I'm trying to to be an old fuddy-duddy about this, but it's hard hearing someone who looks like they're 8 dropping F-bombs loud enough that the whole neighborhood can hear.
We can get into all the usual suspects when this subject comes up. You know, how the parents aren't around, or how Hollywood makes indecent programming accessible, or they're only repeating what they hear from the older siblings or parents. Yeah, we've heard 'em all.
But let's explore it from another avenue: The devaluing of the language.
In all likelihood, the kids don't really know any better. And they don't know any other way to express themselves. It's just easier (and cooler) to use words that they've been told not to use.
They don't realize the more you use a F-bomb or any other expletive, the less shock value it has, and the less people will listen to what you have to say.
For a good example, look at the movie "Idiocracy." Everyone talked that way — and ONLY that way. Fuddruckers got a creative new name (that, honestly, we've probably all thought about calling it already anyway). By the time the movie was done, you were so numb to the words, that you had to be worried that we sound that way sometimes now.
There was a while there in my late teens/early-to-mid 20's, when I cursed like a sailor. And there are times still when a bomb or two drops from my pie hole. But I try to be more judicious in their use (and not just because of Luc).
That especially goes here. This is my blog, and my posts, meaning I'm my own decency judge. I could go nuts and use every possible curse word or extremely off-color joke I've ever heard (and there have been a couple of posts that when I thought of them, I was upset enough that I was screaming obscenities in my head). But what would be the point?
After all, the pen (or in my case, the keyboard) is still mightier than the sword. And, hopefully one day, the kids will learn that a well-turned phrase is mightier that calling some one a (favorite expletive here)-head.

WATCHING THE ROAD: Coming home from a wedding last week, I saw something that frightened and disgusted me.
A truck/SUV in front of us had three video screens playing for the passengers in the back seat of the car. This, in itself, is not an uncommon occurrence these days.
What was, however, was the size of the one hanging down from the roof of the car.
The thing was huge. It was as big, if not bigger, than my main TV (which, admittedly, is only a 19-incher). It was scary big. It would have taken up half of our Saturn's back seat.
A flurry of thoughts ran through my mind:
* How ADD-riddled are the kids riding in that back seat? You need a screen that size (plus one embedded in each seat back) to keep them entertained? My child's only 2, but I can pretty much guarantee that there will be no monitors that size in my car. He wants to ignore us when he grows up, he can listen to his MP3 player. At least then I'll know it's because he doesn't share my choice of music.
* Recession? What recession? How much money do you have that you can put that into your vehicle? And the self-entitlement it implies. For chrissakes, get a smaller screen and donate some of the savings to charity. I see something like that, and I know it's a gas-guzzling, battery-draining, distracted-driving pain in my rear. And it's on the road in front of me?
* How out of their minds are the parents? You know that the program that was playing (it appeared to be a children's cartoon) has been seen by them and their kids probably about 5,000 times. It's their favorites. And you've seen it over-and-over-and-over-and-over ... you get the picture. I've done a pretty good job of mixing up the children's programs I watch with Luc, but when you're seeing the same episode of "Imagination Movers" for the 10th time, it's hard not to go a little crazy.
I know technology is marching on, and it's making it easier and cheaper for us to do this. But just because we can, doesn't mean we should. After all, none of us had TV's in our car growing up, and we turned out pretty damn good, I'd say.

SPEAKING OF THE IMAGINATION MOVERS: We were out shopping the other day at a Target, and Gina pointed out a new DVD featuring some of the episodes of the TV series.
Which, in and of itself, isn't a really big deal. Every TV show puts episodes out on DVD. Especially when they're involved with Disney.
But upon further inspection, there was something about it that struck a chord. On the packaging was a quote from a critic, telling you how good the show was, and how good it was for your kid to watch.
"The kind of TV parents want their kids watch," read the quote, attributed to Barry Garron of the Hollywood Reporter. Before I even saw the attribution, I looked at Gina and said I know that quote. I had read that quote on a blog I was regularly following from the Reporter. Before Barry Garron was laid off last year.
His review of the show was posted on Nov. 17. Word came down he was out of a job around Dec. 4. Which leaves me with two thoughts.
First: How's that for a lasting monument to a tenure in ones journalism career (even Hollywood trade journalism) — a small quote on the package of a children's DVD?
And second: What's going to happen when the last critic is laid off?
Already, the herd is thin. Where there used to be at least 20 to 30 movie reviews available on the wire from the various papers across the country. Now, you'll be lucky to get 10, and it's usually only for the week's big release(s). Only a couple of critics weigh in on every small movie.
And TV? Good luck with that. There's still a couple, but they are mostly relegated to doing feature stories disguised as insightful critiques. Music? A handful (including one still at the PE).
But what about the blogosphere, the free sharing of ideas on the 'Net?
Well, as much as I appreciate all of you reading, I can't imagine anyone taking my advice on their entertainment options, nor should my name and a quote from a "review" be used on any packaging.

On that note, thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it clean and use your common sense when posting a comment on this blog. Thanks a bunch.