Tuesday, June 2, 2015

End of the ECHL Era for the Ontario Reign -- Justin Kemp

There's always a little bit of information left over when you put together season ending stories. Here's some of the quotes that didn't make the paper in our Reign finale and the conversation with Justin Kemp

Justin Kemp may have left his post with the Reign when the team announced its move into the American Hockey League. He was a regular visitor at the games, and still visited with the team in the locker room area.

But it was definitely a different experience, he said.

"I mean it is definitely different, because you’re watching it as a fan as opposed to an employee of the team. At the same time I still felt the expectations for the fans, for the team itself, hockey ops staff, of course the front office staff. From that aspect, not a lot changed. Certainly my passion and desire to win never wavered. In some ways it was kind of nice because I had the opportunity to sit back and watch it and take advantage and just enjoy it from a hockey standpoint without any of the other distractions."

One of the hallmarks of the Reign over the last few years has been the addition of players from Southern California. From contract players such as Kyle Bigos to players such as Matt White, Dennis Brown and CJ Stretch, the ECHL version of the Reign allowed local players a chance to play at home.

It wasn't by design, as coach Jason Christie was able to track down the best players for his squad, but it didn't hurt the bottom line, either, Kemp said.

"I think it was probably Jason finding the right guys. But any time you can find a quality player that’s in your own back yard, that’s a plus. In the 20 years or so that I’ve been in this business, I’ve seen so much growth in the terms of the number of players that have come out of Southern California who have played at some sort of professional level. You have some legitimate talent now. It’s not just a novelty any more to have a player on your roster, like a Kyle Bigos, for instance, from right here in Upland. That’s not an accident. He’s a legitimate player, especially for this league and spent some time up in the American League. If you see it’s between two players one of which is local and one isn’t, yeah, there’s all kinds of reasons why you would do that, none of which are smaller than the fact you might get more fans in the building. But, let’s face it, we’re an American-run business, it’s cheaper, more economical to have an American player than a Canadian player."

As far as Kemp's future, it's still in the air. But he's done resting and is itching to take on a new challenge.

“At this point, I’ve realized I don’t think what I anticipated is how hard it is to figure out what it is that’s going to trigger your interest after having something that’s been as fulfilling as this over the last near decade,” he said. “I kind of thought I’ll take a month off and I’ll be ready to jump back into something. Mentally I’m ready to jump back into something, because I’m not used to having time on my hands like this. But it’s really important for me to find the right fit.

“I think to have an opportunity to start up another franchise somewhere or even help resurrect an existing franchise somewhere, would be something of interest to me. If not, something completely outside of team sports but involves growing another business. I’ve looked at a bunch of different things, but nothing has caught just yet. But I’m trying to be patient and methodical about it. I’m confident that at some point here, before this year is out, something will fall into place.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it clean and use your common sense when posting a comment on this blog. Thanks a bunch.